In this article we walk you through installing the Moen Posi-Temp Shower Valve, and where you can find associated parts and tools.
At SUPPLY.com, our plumbers like to install Moen because they know it will work well and last a long time. They also like the breadth of the catalog, and the availability of both rough and finish parts.
The Moen Posi-Temp shower rough-in valve is commonly used due to its easy install, and it’s a popular choice for homeowners who want a pressure-balanced, scald-resistant system that is compatible with the attractive look of Moen tub and shower trims.
The Moen Posi-Temp Shower Valve
The Posi-Temp valve is a pressure-balanced cycling valve, and, according to Moen, the benefits include:
- Flow reversibility
- Set maximum temperature upon installation
- Vertical spa compatibility
- Back-to-back installation capability
If you are installing a new shower or need a new trim for an existing setup, we suggest using the Moen Chateau Shower Trim (pictured below) with the Posi-Temp valve. This trim is classic, simple and looks good in a variety of environments.
The Posi-Temp valve should take a couple of hours for a pro to install. Below we go over the installation process for anyone who needs a reference.
1.The first step in your install is to cut off the water supply.
2. Next, you’ll need to set up the proper space for the valve, potentially cutting into the wall space if you’re working in a bathroom that already has the plumbing built in. With Moen valves, we recommend attaching a wooden backing, afterwards screwing in the completed valve with galvanized screws.
3. To attach the valve to the shower faucet, position fittings into the top port of the valve. If you’re installing the Chateau shower trim, you’ll need to solder copper tubing with a 90° drop ear elbow.
4. Remove the cartridge, then clean the fittings and valve with emery cloth and flux before soldering. Make sure to take proper precautions when soldering in a tight space by using cool gel or spraying water in the area surrounding the fitting.
5. As for the other ports on the valve that connect to the water supply, the Posi-Temp models we offer at SUPPLY.com are compatible with ½” cold expansion PEX, which simplifies the installation process. Simply cut your PEX tubing and slip over the adapters already on the valve. Use a crimping tool, like this Ridgid PEX tool, to secure the tubes.
If you’re looking for more detailed instructions, check out the video guide below by Home Repair Tutor. Keep in mind they’re installing a tub spout instead of a showerhead, but the same principles apply.
Want to know more about the Posi-Temp valve? Shop below or give our product experts a call at 877-781-3114!